The path in the valley that connects Teramo to Ascoli Piceno is very demanding in terms of time and energies, but it’s rewarding for the splendid panoramic views. Moreover it gives the chance to travel in contact with the human history that filled this territory with works of different ages, an expression of the technological level and the economical needs of certain period in history. It isn’t rare to meet photovoltaic fields and old farmsteads, abandoned manors and century-old olive groves.
Nature itself offers great treasures to the travelers, like the Gorges of Salinello and the surrounding majestic mountains.
A long and very demanding path (140 km), suitable for experts. It goes through a mixed territory, between flat, hills and plateaus.
The start is from the beach resort of Martinsicuro in Abruzzo, in the border between Marche and Abruzzo. After a riding on the “Adriatica” cycle path that runs along the sea, you go towards the inland, up to Sant’Omero.
Going towards south-west a hill stretch begins up to Cesenà and then Campli. At that point there are the uplands of the north-east side of Laga mountains, with a constant climb (30 kilometers) that leads up to 1200 meters between Macchia del Sole and Settecerri. A little descend towards Cerquito and then up again (10 kilometers) on the slope that takes to San Giacomo.
The way back slong Vibrata Valley passes through a descend towards Civitella del Tronto and along the state road up to Sant’Omero.
The way back goes north towards the farming town of Corropoli first and then you go through the valley up to the little climb that leads to Tortoreto. The sea of Martinsicuro is few kilometers from there.
Castel Manfrino is situated in the locality of Macchia del Sole, in the communal territory of Castellana Valley in the province of Teramo. It was built in the Late Middle Ages, between XII and XIII centuries, and it represented one of the places dedicated to the defense of the Asiago countship wanted by Carlo Magno. Its name was given after Manfredi di Svevia, son of Federico II. Today is possible to visit only the rests of the ancient fortification, heavily damaged in the course of time. The ruins of the defensive emplacement are at 963 meters of altitude, on a rocky spur on the border between Ascoli Piceno and Teramo. Inside the walls there are the tower, the residence of the castellan, and the rests of a little chapel.
The Campli territory, between Ascoli Piceno and Teramo, in the past had its own civilization and settlements, at least until the Roman domination. In the XIII and XIV centuries Campli could praise its progress and prosperity: it was at that time that St Maria in Platea bell tower, St Francesco church and the Parliament Palace were built. In 1776 in the city center an Holy Ladder was erected, a great world rarity with its 28 olive wood stairs. Today Camply is part of the Langa Mountain Community.
Civitella del Tronto is a village situated on a travertine rock cliff and it is dominated by the Fort, that represented the last desperate bastion of Naples Bourbons and the Kingdom of Sicily, that surrendered to the Piedmontese even after the proclamation of Italys Unification. It is a charming place for its monumental architecture, the wide views of the surrounding landscapes and the bloody historical events linked to the Fort, one of the most impressive military engineering work in Europe.
It is an agricultural center situated in the valley of the torrent Fontanelle, tributary of the river Vibrata. The Romans built here villas and pagan temples of which archeological ruins are left. The bell tower is the symbol of the town, erected by Antonio da Lodi between the XV and the XVI century, it is part of a group of four bell towers in the province of Teramo.
It is one of the 12 municipalities in the Val Vibrata and one of the oldest towns in the area. It is set on a lush green hill, that its a watershed between the two rivers, Vibrata on one side and on the other Salinello. Noteworthy are the historical and tourist places to visit and there are many activities for families and tourists.
Tortoreto Lido is a well-known and popular seaside resort that attracts many tourists in summer. Among the religious architecture to be admired there is the church of Santa Maria della Misericordia, dating back to 1348, with admirable frescoes executed by Giacomo Confini and his pupils. Of archaeological importance the remains of a Roman villa of the second century BC around a small artificial lake, then there is the natural oasis "The sources of the Vessel".
From Martinsicuro to Roseto degli Abruzzi, it is possible to ride along the coast for 25 kilometers, thanks to wood bridges built on the torrent Vibrata, on the Salinello and on the river Tordino.
The Salinello Gorges Natural Reserve - a narrow canyon with sheer walls dug by the river Salinello - it is one of the most spectacular and wild place of Abruzzo. At the entrance of the Gorges there is the prehistoric cave of St Angelos hermitage.
City of departure: Martinsicuro
City of arrival: Martinsicuro
Length (Km): 140
Type of Itinerary: Full day
Difference in height (m): 2500
Difference in downhill (m): 2500
Highest point (m): 1189
Lowest point (m): 0
Duration (h.): 10